Friday, February 11, 2011

Home Alone

I'm starting a blog. The way I figure, "I was updating my blog" is a much better excuse for not getting the dishes or laundry done during Macy's nap time than "I was watching Ellen." Yes, this should work just fine.

I suppose I should start with some notable moments and milestones that are happening with Macy. The first one that comes to mind is that she got to be home alone for the first time yesterday! That's right, I went to take out the trash while she was napping in her crib and accidentally locked myself out of the house. As soon as I shut the door, I realized what I had done, and was frozen in shock for about two seconds. Then I cursed. Then my brain started working again. "Did I really just do that? Do I really not have any way back into the house right now?" Of course, I could have broken a window to get in in a flash, and if I thought Macy was in any distress, obviously I would have. But she was in her crib, napping, so I really didn't think any that was necessary. I ran over to the neighbor's house, explained what happened, and asked to use her phone to call Morgan. The conversation went a something like this:

Me: "Hi. I'm calling from the neighbor's. I locked myself out of the house and Macy is inside."
Morgan: "What? Are you being serious right now?"
Me: "Are you seriously asking if I'm being serious right now?"

It took him about 20 minutes to get home, but it felt like 2 hours. When we finally got inside and up to Macy's room, she was lying there peacefully without a care in the world. When all was said and done, it was a good learning experience: We should always have a backup plan for getting into the house. We now leave a spare key on our back porch under the doormat...

I'm kidding... It's under the flower pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment